Advanced Writing Skills
Posters are generally made to spread a social message or to create awareness among the general public about some event of common interest.
They are part notices and part advertisements. Like notices they have no fixed style or format and are artistic and eye catching like advertisements. They do not follow strict grammatical pattern. There is a lot of emphasis on visual appeal.
A good poster has a catchy title, relevant slogans or small verses and sometimes a visual appropriate to theme.
1. In case of an event, important information like date, time, venue, occasion or purpose is clearly and boldly mentioned.
2. Size of the letters can be made small or bold, light or dark according to their importance and a dramatic effect can be created even without colors.
3. A complicated drawing is not required in the visual. A simple cartoon, drawing or caricature can also fulfill the purpose. The object is not to test your skill at drawing but your ability to present the theme through a meaningful visual, if at all a visual has been demanded.
4. A poster must immediately catch the on-looker’s attention and fulfill the purpose towards which it is targeted.
Q1. Design a poster warning the people of Delhi against the danger of pollution and appealing them to keep their surroundings clean.
The Silent Killer
More Dangerous Than Atom Bomb
Let Us Fight It
1. Keep your vehicle pollution –free.
2. Keep your surroundings clean.
3. Don’t smoke.
4. Grow terrace gardens and kitchen gardens.
5. Grow more trees in your surroundings.
POLLUTION IS ENEMY OF ALL
ALL RELIGIONS – ALL COMMUNITIES – ALL CASTES
Issued by: National Pollution Control, Govt. of India, New Delhi
Q2. Design an attractive poster for an anti-smoking campaign being held in your school on the occasion of World No-Tobacco Day. You may use slogans. Don’t exceed 50 words.
Do not Smoke
Save Yourself and Others
Smoking saps your strength, stamina
and energy and Brings ruin and death
EVERY CIGARETTE CUTS
YOUR LIFE BY 5 MINUTES
Do you want to save your precious life?
SAY NO TODAY TO CIGARETTES
Issued by: Ministry of Health, Govt. of India, New Delhi
3. Draft a poster on the theme of Road Safety.
By taking a little care………….
………….Roads can be made safer
1. Follow traffic signals.
2. Don’t cross speed limits.
3. Use seat belts.
4. Don’t talk on mobile while driving.
5. Don’t drink and drive.
6. Use Zebra crossing to cross road.
7. Park your vehicles only in an authorized parking lot.
BE OBEDIENT AND BE SAFE
Issued By: Transport Department, Govt. of India, New Delhi
4. Draft a poster on the celebration of “The Grand Parents Day.”
ZAVERI INTERNATIONAL PUBLIC SCHOOL
The Grand- Parents Day
on Saturday, 22nd December, 2012 at 03.00 p.m. in the School Auditorium
Shree D.K. Avinash, IAS
District Magistrate of Dehradun
Programme: 1. Saraswati Vandana 2. Cultural Programme 3.Speech by Old Parents 4. Speech by the Principal 5. Speech by the Chief Guest 6. Prize Distribution 7. Light Refreshment
Organised by: Zaveri International Public School, Dehradun.
Q5. Draft a Poster on “Save Girl Child” for spreading awareness among general public.
SAVE GIRL CHILD
THEY ARE AN INDISPENSABLE HUMAN RESOURCE
FOR GENERATIONS TO COME
DONOT KILL THEM IN WOMB
GIRLS ARE AN ASSET TO A NATION
1. Productive members of the society
2. More intelligent, wiser and compassionate
3. Contributing in all fields
FEMALE FOETFECIDE IS A CRIMINAL OFFENCE
Issued by: Delhi Commission for Women, Govt. of NCT, Delhi
Q6. A week long Asian Book Fair is being held in Pragati Maidan. Draft a poster informing the general public about it.
COME ONE COME ALL
Man can Deceive but Books can Never
These are your true friends
BOOKS TO TREASURE….BOOKS TO LEASURE
1.Books for all age groups & on all subjects
2.Computer Software and Educational CDs
3.Audio-Visual Teaching aids
Date: 23 – 29 December, 20XX
Time: 10.00 a.m. to 7.00 p.m.
Venue: Pragati Maidan (Stall 9 to 15)
Organised by : International Trade Authority, New Delhi, India
Q7. Draft a Poster on “Save water” for spreading awareness among general public.
SAVE WATER, SAVE EARTH
NO WATER, NO LIFE
NO GREENERY, NO VEGETATION
SAVE EVERY DROP OF WATER
RAIN WATER HARVESTING
Dos & Don’ts
1. Close tap after use. Don,t allow water to flow uselessly.
2. Don,t use hose pipe to wash cars and watering Plants.
3. Don’t keep the tap running for cleaning floors, washing clothes, shaving and brushing your teeth. Use buckets.
4. Collect rain water and allow it to seep in the Earth
Issued by: Delhi Jal Board, New Delhi.
8. Draft a poster on a blood donation camp to be organized in your school by the Red Cross Society, New Delhi.
DON’T SHED BLOOD, DONATE IT
The Red Cross Society, New Delhi
A BLOOD DONATION CAMP
Premier Public School, Vasant Kunj, New Delhi
on 15th September, 20XX
DONATE BLOOD & SAVE A LIFE
All donors will be awarded certificates
Issued by: The Red Cross Society, New Delhi.
Q9. Design a poster for your school fete.
COME ONE, COME ALL
THE GRAND FETE
Sarvodaya Higher Secondary School, Palam, New Delhi
Sunday, 13th January, 20XX
8.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m.
A Day of Fun & Frolic
1. Snack stalls
3. Electronic games
4. Fancy dress
5. Luck draws
6. Quiz contests
Entry by tickets
Adult: Rs. 10.00
Child blow 8: Rs. 5.00
Organised by: Sarvodaya Higher Secondary School, Palam, New Delhi
Q10. Design a poster on the need for regular exercise.
A Healthy Body Shelters a Healthy Mind
Get fit for life
Become active & live longer life
Exercising can be a fun – Choose any one
5. Working out at Gym
Exercise Everyday & Keep The Doctor Away
Issued by: Sports Authority of India, New Delhi
Q11. Design a poster for promoting cleanliness in the surroundings of your colony.
CLEANLINESS IS NEXT TO GOLINESS
Keep the surroundings of Avantika
NEAT & CLEAN
Kick away diseases & Make life all green
Clean Environment – Healthy Living
Keep your area clean by
1. Removing garbage
2. Saying ‘No’ to plastics
< span style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;">3. Checking pollution
4. Covering open drains
5. Avoiding loud music
6. Planting more & more trees
Issued By: Residents Welfare Association, Avantika, New Delhi
Q12. Draft a poster on drug addiction.
Easy to get in
Impossible to get out
Don’t hug the drug
It’ll suck your blood & make you a dud
Issued by: Central Public Health Department, New Delhi
Q13. Draft a poster for spreading awareness among the people about the hazardous effects of plastic bags.
SAVE MOTHER EARTH
SAY ‘NO’ TO PLASTIC BAGS
They contaminate eatables.
They are hazardous to health.
They can’t be recycled.
Burning them produces poisonous gases.
SAY ’YES’ TO PAPER BAGS
It can be reused & recycled.
It is safe for man and environment.
They don’t contaminate food articles.
ADOPT THEM OR PERISH
Issued by: The Eco Club, Alliance Modern Public School, Jabalpur
Q14. Draft a poster appeali
ng to people to show kindness to animals.
SHOW KINDNESS TO ALL CREATURES
GIVE PROPER CARE TO ANIMALS
They are More Worthy Than Humans
They are Well-wishers & Helpers
They are Protectos & Life Saviours
Ther are Servers, Friends & Guides
Animals are precious treasure, save them
Issued by: Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, New Delhi
Q15. Your school is organizing a cultural evening to collect funds for the earthquake victims in Nepal. The District Magistrate has consented to be the chief guest. Draft a poster.
THE CULTURAL SOCIETY
Shivam Public School, Shahjahanpur
A CULTURAL EVENING
to collect funds for the
Sunday, 5th August, 20XX at 6.00 p.m.
Shri P.V. SOLANKI
District Megistrate, Shahjahanpur
COME ONE, COME ALL
HELP FOR A NOBLE CAUSE
1. Magic Shows
3. Fancy Dress
4. Poetic Recitation
5. Lucky Draws
Entry by Tickets
Adult: Rs. 20.00
Child below 6: Rs. 5.00
Organised by: The Cultural Society, Shivam Public School, Shahjahanpur