Answer the following questions by choosing the most appropriate option: 3
Sample Test Paper – 3
Time: 90 Minutes M.M: 40
1. All questions are compulsory.
2. Separate instructions are given with each question. Read them carefully and follow them faithfully
3. Do not exceed the prescribed word limit while answering the questions. Marks will be deducted if this limit is crossed.
SECTION A (READING)
1. Read the passage given below and answer the questions that follow: 10
1. The effects of plastic bags on the environment are really quite devastating. While there are many objections to the banning of plastic bags based solely on their convenience, the damage to the environment needs to be controlled.
2. There is no way to strictly limit the effects of plastic bags on the environment because there is no disposal method that will really help eliminate the problem. While reusing them is the first step, most people don’t do that. These bags are not durable enough to survive numerous trips to the store. The best that citizens can do is to reuse them.
3. The biggest problem with this is that once they have been soiled they end up in the trash, which then ends up in the landfill or is burned. Either solution is very poor for the environment. Burning emits toxic gases that harm the atmosphere and increase the level of VOCs in the air while landfills hold them indefinitely as part of the plastic waste problem throughout the globe.
4. One of the greatest problems is that an estimated 300 million plastic bags end up in the Atlantic Ocean alone. These bags are very dangerous for sea life, especially those of the mammal variety. Any hunting mammal can easily mistake the size, shape and texture of the plastic bag for a meal and find its airway cut off. Needless deaths from plastic bags are increasing every year.
5. The environmental balance of the waterways is being thrown off by the rate of plastic bags finding their way into the mouths and intestinal tracts of sea mammals. As one species begins to die off at an abnormal rate, every other living organism in the waterways is impacted.
6. The indefinite period of time that it takes for the average plastic bag to break down can be literally hundreds of years. Every bag that ends up in the woodlands of the country threatens the natural progression of wildlife. Because the breakdown rate is so slow the chances that the bag will harmlessly go away are extremely slim. Throughout the world plastic bags are responsible for suffocation deaths of woodland animals as well as inhibiting soil nutrients. The land litter that is made up of plastic bags has the potential to kill over and over again. It has been estimated that one bag has the potential to unintentionally kill one animal per every three months due to unintentional digestion or inhalation.
7. While it’s a noble thought to place the plastic bags in the recycling bin every week, studies have proven that there are very few recycling plants that actually recycle them. Most municipalities either burn them or send them off to the landfill after sorting. This is because it can be expensive to recycle this type of plastic. It doesn’t melt down easily and is often not fit to be reused in its original form.
8. The premise of recycling these bags is nice. Yet funding for the upgrading of the recycling units just has not happened and thus less than 1% of all bags are sent to recycling plants worldwide. Most are left to become a pollution problem in one way or another.
9. There are always alternatives to plastic bags and the search for more alternatives continues. Paper bags are a possible option but they also take their toll on the environment. The use of trees to increase the production of paper products will also have a negative environmental effect.
10. Reusable plastic bags are being introduced to regions that want to outlaw the plastic bags altogether. These are stronger and more durable and can be used for three to five trips to the store. Of course, the reusable cloth bag is fast becoming a favourite among environmental supporters. While no bag is without its issues, thus far these are the bags that are currently recommended for use to help protect environmental concerns.
1. Harmful effects of plastic bags on the environment can be reduced by:
(a) throwing them into the dustbin
(b) burning in the open field
(c) putting them in a landfill
(d) reutilizing or recycling them
2. How do plastic bags affect sea life?
(a) interfere with living space of sea animals
(b) melt and pollute sea water
(c) cause death to mammals
(d) sea mammals have potential to digest
3. What hinders recycling of plastic bags?
(a) non-availability of land
(b) lack of funds to setup recycling units
(c) no techniques are available
(d) opposition of environmentalists
4. Why do some people object to the banning of plastic bags? 1
5. Why is reusing plastic bags not considered practical? 1
6. Why the disposal of plastic bags is considered damaging to the environment?1
7. What are the disadvantages of using paper bags? 1
8. What, according to the writer, is the best possible alternative to plastic bags? 1
9. Find words from the passage which mean the same as the following: 2
(a) Remove (para 2)
(b) Choking (para 6)
SECTION B (WRITING)
2. You are Karan/Kanika, Secretary Cultural club of your school. Your school is organising a Dramatics workshop during the Winter Break for senior students of the school. Draft a notice for the school notice board informing the school notice board informing the students giving all relevant details. 4
You are Principal, Patel Public School, Ashok Vihar, Delhi. Draft an advertisement for the vacant post of Maths teacher in your school to be published in the classified columns of a daily newspaper in not more than 50 words. 4
3. You are Shahid/ Shachi of B-3/230, Vivek Vihar, Delhi. Last month you bought a Samsung LED TV from Delhi Electronics, Patel Nagar. Now it is not working properly. Write a letter to the dealer complaining about it. 6
The Himalayan Country of Nepal was badly devastated by a massive earthquake recently. Write an article highlighting the steps taken by India to carry out relief and rescue operation for quake affected people in Nepal. 6
SECTION C (GRAMMAR)
4. Rearrange the following jumbled words to make meaningful sentences: 2
(a) indoor/and/ there/ are/outdoor/kind of/ various/ games.
(b) from/the/also/ removes/fasting/body/toxins
5. The following passage has not been edited. There is one error in each of the lines. Write the incorrect word and the correction in your answer sheet as given below. Remember to underline the word you have supplied. 1/2×8=4
He lay in bed, plan ways to e.g. plan planning
avoid going at school. An idea (a) …… ……….
came to him that if he is sick (b) ……. ……….
he could stayed at home. But (c) …….. ………..
after a completely search he could (d) ……. ………..
not find nothing wrong with him. (e) …….. ………..
Suddenly he made a discovery that
one of his upper front tooth (f) …….. ……….
was lose. He was about to (g) …….. ……….
begin crying of pain when he (h)…….. ………..
remembered that his aunt would
simply pull it out.
SECTION D (LITERATURE)
6. Read the following extract and answer the questions that follow: 3
The cardboard shows me how it was,
When the two girl cousins went paddling,
Each one holding one of my mother’s hands,
And she the big girl –some twelve years or so.
(a) What does the cardboard show?
(b) Who does ‘the big girl’ refer to?
(c) Why did the girls go to the sea?
7. Answer any three of the following questions in 30-40 words each: 6
(a) Why was the grandmother distressed and dissatisfied with the teaching in the English school?
(b) Give a brief description of the narrator’s boat. How had the narrator equipped and tested it?
(c) What traits of the Garoghalanian family are highlighted in the story?
(d) What two reasons did the narrator give to explain that she was mistaken?
(e) How did the narrator and his grandmother become good friends?
8. Answer any one of the following questions in 100-120 words: 5
(a) Why did Mr. Hiram Otis decide to buy the old castle when he knows that it is haunted? Explain.
(b) How did Mr. Otis behave with the ghost when he first saw him? What was his suggestion to him?