Unit 1 - Planning in Sports
Planning in sports is the process of setting goals, developing strategies and outlining tasks and schedules to accomplish the goals of sports events. In other words we can say that planning is to decide a course of action. A planning should be based upon futuristic concept and need based. The planning is needed for better
Meaning of Planning
Planning is the process which helps us in reaching at our destination efficiently and smoothly. A plan is a predetermined course of action to achieve a specified goal.
Planning is an intellectual process of thinking in advance about setting of goals and developing strategies which are required to attain the goals efficiently. However, in the field of physical education and sports,
Objectives of Planning
Planning is done considering the aim and objectives of programme along with time and finances available for programme.
Q1. What is planning?
Q2. Name some specific sports programmes.
1. Health run
2. Run for fun
3. Run for unity
4. Run for awareness
Q3. What do you mean by the word 'Tournament'?
Q4. List the various types of tournaments.
(í) Knock-out tournament
(iii) Combination tournament
(iv) Challenge tournament
Q5. What do you mean by consolation tournaments?
Q6. What do you mean by combination tournament?
Q7. What do you mean by league cum league tournament?
Q8. What do you mean by seeding?
Q9. What is special seeding?
Q11. What are the advantages of knockout
2. The knockout tournament is helpful in enhancing the standard of sports
Q12. What are the disadvantages of knockout
2. There are maximum chances of weak teams to enter into the final round.
3. Spectators may not have enough interest in the final match.
Q13. What do you mean by 'League tournament'? /
Q14. What are the advantages of league
2. Every team gets full opportunity to show its efficiency or performance.
3. Sports and games can be made more popular through league tournament due to maximum number of matches.
4. In such type of tournament, the sports officials do not face any difficulty while selecting or determining the appropriate players or team. They have enough time to watch the efficiency and performance of a player.
Q15. What are the disadvantages of league
2. It costs more.
3. The teams coming from far and wide, generally face more problems because such tournaments waste their time and money.
4. It requires more arrangement for sports officials and teams.
5. Most of the teams become psychologically down due to their defeat again and again. In such situation, these teams become unable to show good performance. That is why, the spectators do not get proper recreation.
Q16. What do you mean by a 'bye'?
Q17. Explain procedure for giving bye.
Q18. What is health run?
Q19. What do you mean by intramurals?
Short Answer Type Questions (3 Marks)
Q. Briefly mention the objectives of intramurals.
(ì) To provide incentive, motivation and opportunity to learn various skills.
(ii) To develop sportsman spirit among students.
(iii) To help in recreation of the students.
(iv) To improve social relations among the students.
Q. Discuss any two importances of tournaments.
Source of Recreation A large number of people go to watch various games and sports for getting
Q. What are the advantages of knock-out tournaments?
(i) Minimum number of officials is required in organizing tournaments.
(ii)Less number of matches is played, thus requiring less time to complete the tournaments.
(íìì) Less expensive because the team which gets defeated is eliminated from the competition.
Q. Briefly explain about any two specific sports programmes.
(ì) Run for Fun:
(ìì) Run for Unity:
Q. Mention the activities which are included in intramurals and extramural,
Drill, Dumb-bell, Marching, chess, Roller skating, Sack race, Shuttle run,
Extramural Friendly matches, restricted competitions, Open competitions etc.
Q1. Discuss any two importance of tournaments.
Q2. Explain about knockout tournament with an example.
In the 1st round, team A and B as well as team C and D play their matches. If team B and team D become the winners of 1st round, these teams
Q3. Explain any two objectives of intramurals.
Q4. Briefly explain any two objectives of extramurals.
Long Answer Type Questions (5 Marks)
Q1. Mention the activities which are included in ‘intramurals’.
1. Major games:
2. Minor games:
4. Creative activities:
5. Combative activities:
Q2. Explain seeding method and special seeding in knockout tournament.
Q3. Briefly explain the need of extramural competitions.
Through extramural competitions, the standard of sports performance can be enhanced. Specially, the losers can make strenuous efforts to improve their sports performance in next extramural competitions.
Extramurals are essential for making and implementing the programmes of physical education more effective. Extramural also helps in broadening the base of sports.
Q4. Elucidate the importance of tournament in detail.
Q7. What do you mean by intramurals? Mention the need of intramurals for school children.
Need of Intramurals:
1. Intramurals are very essential for physical, mental, emotional and social development of students.
2. These programmes also lay stress on moral and ethical values of students.
3. Intramurals are necessary for the development of health of children.
4. These programmes are also essential to calm down the fighting instinct of children.
5. These programmes refresh the children and make them agile.
6. Intramurals provide maximum recreation to the students.
Q8. Elucidate the need of Extramurals.
Extramurals are essential in the field of physical education because without extramurals competitions, the programmes of physical education remain incomplete. The following points are significant to show the need of extramural competitions.
Q9. What do you mean by specific sports programmes? Explain about health run and run for unity in detail.
Run for unity:
Q10. Enlist the committees for organizing sports events and explain any
2. Transport committee
3. Boarding and lodging committee
4. Decoration and ceremony
5. Refreshment and entertainment committee
6. Reception committee
7. Ground and Equipment committee
8. Announcement committee
9. Committee for officials
2. Boarding and lodging committee:
3. Grounds and equipment committee:
4. Refreshments and entertainment committee:
5. Reception committee: